Invite participants to provide answers in their own words with the Text Box question type. This question type is best used to collect open-ended feedback explaining an opinion or experience in detail. This is also a smart choice when it’s not possible to predict all possible responses.
To add a Text Box question to your survey, drag and drop the question type from the panel on the left to the correct spot on the right.
Text Box questions can be formatted to accept only the right kind of response. By default, each Text box is set to General. From here, you can make the following choices:
- Adjust height and width
To adjust the dimensions of the box, click and drag the bottom right corner to your preferred size.
- Limit total character count
To modify character count, use the menu on the left side of the screen. You may also choose whether to display the available character count to participants.
- Specify Text Box format
Choose from the list of formats available to ensure the right kind of content is being collected. Additionally, customize the validation messages displayed if the wrong kind of content is entered.
- General: This format allows the participant to enter any type of text.
- Currency: This format requires the participant to enter an amount. You may set an expected range by identifying high and low values. If you do not set a range, any number will be accepted. You can choose to display a currency symbol by checking ‘Append currency symbol’ and choosing a currency from the drop down menu.
- Email: This format requires the participant to enter an email address including an @ sign and a period. Check the box to require participants to enter the address twice for validation.
- Phone Number: This format requires the participant to enter a phone number in the format (201) 555-0123.
- Number: This format requires the participant to enter a valid number. You may set an expected range by identifying high and low values. If you do not set a range, any number will be accepted. You can also select ‘Allow only integer value’ to accept only numbers without decimals.
- Percentage: This format requires the participant to enter a valid number. You can also restrict answers to be within a given range. If you do not set a range, any number will be accepted.
- Social Security Number: This format requires the participant to enter numbers in the ###-##-#### format.
- U.S. ZIP Code: This format requires the participant to enter exactly five digits.
- U.S. ZIP Code + 4: This format requires the participant to enter exactly five or nine digits.
- Custom: This option allows you to create a customized required format. Enter ‘#’ for numbers and ‘@’ for alphabetic characters.For example:
If your organization uses employee IDs like mmk777, you may require the format @@@###.
- Allow only short answer text
- This option is available for only Text Box – General format. Selecting this option means that participants will be able to provide only short text answers.
- When analyzing results, these short answers can be used to segment responses in the Omni Report.For example:
Allow participants to enter their own location rather than choosing from a list, then segment responses by location in your report. Or, if you’d like to report on participants’ favorite brands but want to avoid biasing their responses, you might choose to provide them with a blank field rather than a list of options.
- To reduce the margin of error, a maximum of 30 characters and a minimum of 1 character can be set when short answer text is enabled.
- Once this option is enabled, it cannot be changed once responses have been received.
- Mandatory Response: Require participants to respond to a critical question.
- Encouraged Response: Nudge participants who skip a question to reconsider by displaying a customized request message.
- Question Hint: Add extra information that can help provide clarification for participants.
- Data Population: Pre-fill the response during distribution or post-fill after participation.
- Add Media: Add an accompanying image, video, or audio file.
You may also choose to customize the validation message displayed when a participant provides an answer that does not match the required format.
Currently, setting up a question for short answer text will allow you to create each segment in Omni Report.
Within this question type, the following options are available: