Dynamic Contact Lists: SFTP
Want to keep your Contact List updated dynamically without having to build a deep integration with another platform or database? SFTP can help! Simply drop updates in Excel or CSV files into a linked SFTP server, and our platform will pick them up and update or add to your chosen Contact List.
If you’d like to use this option, you’ll first need to connect your account to the Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) server. Learn more
Available as à la carte feature in our Enterprise plan.
To create a dynamic Contact List using SFTP, please follow the steps below.
- Find your project and click on the Publish icon.
- On the far-right end of the menu bar, click on Contact Lists.
- Click Create New, then choose List.
- On the first step, enter a unique and descriptive name and select the List type.
- Select ‘Import from external sources’ and click on SFTP Server.
- Select the source SFTP folder where files containing contact details are uploaded. You will now see a list of all files within this folder.
- From the list displayed, select a file to use for mapping. This file will only be used to map columns and fields and no invitations will be sent to these contacts during the mapping process. If you don’t see any files here, access the SFTP folder (through WinSCP, FileZilla, or your preferred tool) and add a new sample file.
- Review the list of field names identified from the columns in your sample file. To exclude any of these fields from your Contact List, uncheck the relevant box to the far right. Then, choose the column containing the email address to be used for distribution by hovering and clicking the icon displayed on the right. Once selected, the icon will be displayed in blue. Click Continue to proceed.
- Automation Rules
- Choose which files will be used to add/update records.
- All Files: Records to be added/updated from every file uploaded.
- New Files only: Records to be added/updated from the most recent file.
- Files uploaded on selected days: Records to be added/updated from the files only on the day(s) selected. Add multiple days by clicking on the plus icon.
- Schedule Automation Rule: List records will be added/updated at this time based on the rules below. Choose Daily, Weekly, Monthly or Custom schedule.
- Pick your start and end date.
- Add/Update Method: Choose how the list should be modified.
- Update existing list and add new records: Add email addresses and additional fields of content. If these records already exist, they will be updated. If not, they will be added as new records.
- Only update existing records: Change details for your existing records. This option is not available when creating the rule. If you need to enable this, create the list then click View/Modify Rule and select this option.
- Only insert new records: Update your Contact List with only new records and other details.
- Email Alerts: Choose to notify up to 10 alternate email addresses of successes and/or failures.
- Send an alert email to confirm successful rule execution.
- Send an alert email if automation fails.
To update the Contact List correctly, all future files must follow the same format as the mapped file, including the exact order of the email address column and any additional columns.