Customer Effort Score – CES
The CES question is used to measure how helpful your organization is in enabling customers to resolve issues or obtain services.
Add a CES question by dragging and dropping it from the question menu on the left. Text for the CES question is automatically generated. We strongly recommend that you use the default text. The only change you should make is to insert the name of your brand, company, or service.
Answer choices are graded on a 1 to 7 scale, where 1 represents Strongly Disagree and 7 represents Strongly Agree. The scale for a CES question cannot be changed. However, if needed, you can reverse the scale as 7 to 1.
The CES question asks customers to rate their level of agreement with the statement: Company/product/service/brand made it easy for me to meet my needs, on a scale of 1 to 7. Responses categorize customers as follows:
Agree: Customers who provide responses from 5 to 7. These are respondents who say that it was easy to deal with your company/product/service and that it took little or no effort to accomplish their goals.
Neutral: Customers who choose 4. These are unenthusiastic customers. They may defect to competitors if they see any available benefits.
Disagree: Customers who pick 1 to 3. These are customers who feel that it took from some to a considerable amount of effort to deal with the company/product/service in meeting their goals.
How to Calculate Customer Effort Score:
To calculate CES, the sum of scores is divided by the total number of scores/responses received.
CES = Sum of Scores/No. of Scores OR No. of Responses
The Customer Effort Score can range from 1 (all Strongly Disagree) to 7 (all Strongly Agree).
Score category analysis:
- A CES greater than 5, shown in green, indicates that most customers found it extremely easy to use your product or service.
- A CES between 3 and 5, shown in orange, indicates that most customers found it neither especially easy or difficult to use your product or service.
- A CES below 3, shown in red, indicates that most customers found it difficult to use your product or service.
Learn more about adding Tags to your metric questions to analyze data on the CX Dashboard.
Within this question type, the following options are available:
- Mandatory Response: Require participants to respond to a critical question.
- Encouraged Response: Nudge participants who skip a question to reconsider by displaying a customized request message.
- Data Population: Pre-fill answer(s) during distribution or complete post-participation.
- Question Hint: Add extra information that can help provide clarification for participants.
- Show scale in reverse order.
- Display Format: Set display format as smileys or smiley sliders.
- Customize Style: Choose from a list of smiley scale types.