Fall is officially here. For many that means pumpkin patches, apple orchards, Halloween stores, college football, and so much more. October is an important month for many different groups, so let’s get into a few (of the many) reasons to celebrate the month.
Halloween is here! Well, it’s not here just yet, but it’s on the horizon. Whether you’re hosting a Halloween party or taking your kids out for trick-or-treating, October 31 is a fun time to connect with your friends and family and have fun. Halloween is also a great excuse to eat a lot of delicious candy, which very few will complain about!
While this treat isn’t as sweet as the candy most of us will indulge in this month, if you’re interested in Halloween-related survey topics, watch this webinar about Better Surveys through Scary Movies. This webinar covers the scares that can appear during the survey process, from design to reporting. Make sure to avoid these scary movie cliches so your survey project can be successful.
Candy isn’t the only treat this month
We all know what it’s like to daydream about trick-or-treating, and maybe even find a house that gives away full-size candy bars. If you’re looking for a few other ways to treat your tastebuds, October is National Cookie Month, National Pasta Month, and National Pizza Month — a deliciously dangerous combination.
Adopt A Shelter Dog Month
If you’re looking to adopt a dog, or any animal, October is the perfect time to adopt an animal from a local animal shelter (and so is every other month!). There are multiple benefits of rescuing an animal from a shelter!
First, it’s much more affordable compared with getting an animal from a breeder. Pure-bred dogs can cost a lot of money, whereas dogs from shelters are just as adorable and much more affordable. Secondly, shelters desperately need people to adopt animals because they are running out of room and resources (listen to/read this NPR segment about this exact issue).
If you are interested in adopting, are in a good financial position, and live in a suitable situation for a dog, cat, or other household animal, make October the time you visit your local shelter.
National Cyber Security Awareness Month
There are some fun spooky scares that occur during Halloween, but October also highlights a far more serious concern: cyber security threats.
Whether it’s phishing attacks, ransomware, or something else, everyone needs to be vigilant. These kinds of attacks can devastate any business for multiple reasons: customer/employee data gets leaked, customers lose trust, and future business vanishes overnight. The short- and long-term damage can be expensive to fix. In fact, according to PurpleSec, “ransomware costs businesses more than $75 billion a year.” Yikes!
Since October is National Cyber Security Awareness month, take this time to read up on what to look out for when it comes to cyber security attacks so your information remains safe.
What we’re recognizing in October…
- October 1st: World Vegetarian Day
- October 1st: International Coffee Day
- October 2nd: Mahatma Gandhi’s Birthday
- October 6th: World Cerebral Palsy Day
- October 10th: World Mental Health Day
- October 11th: Native Americans Day
- October 11th: National Coming Out Day
- October 15th: Global Handwashing Day
- October 21st: Back to the Future Da
- October 24th: United Nations Day
- October 27th: Lung Health Day
- October 28th: National First Responder’s Day
- October 31st: Halloween (and National Caramel Apple day!)
We also can’t forget about…
- Adopt a Shelter Dog Month
- National Animal Safety and Protection Month
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Down Syndrome Awareness Month
- Dyslexia Awareness Month
- Emotional Intelligence Awareness Month
- Emotional Wellness Month
- Gourmet Adventures Month
- Health Literacy Month
- LGBT History Month
- Italian-American Heritage Month
- National Bullying Prevention Month
- National Cookie Month
- National Cyber Security Awareness Month
- National Disability Employment Awareness Month
- National Depression Education & Awareness Month
- National Go On A Field Trip Month
- National Pizza Month
- National Pasta Month
- National Stamp Collecting Month
- Squirrel Awareness Month
- Vegetarian Awareness Month
- World Blindness Awareness Month
- And so much more…
What are you celebrating this month? Make time to share, care, and connect with your customers, your employees, and those close to you. After all, October might be full of tricks, but we’re always up for treats, too! 😉